Piazza Trilussa is characterized by a large font that was built in 1613 by the Flemish Jan van Santen (1550-1621), known in Italy with the name of Giovanni Vasanzio, in collaboration with Giovanni Fontana (1540-1614).
Wanted by Pope Paul V Borghese (1605-1620), it was originally located on the left bank of the Tiber at the end of Via Giulia, of which it formed the backdrop, close to the Hospice of the Mendicants built a few years earlier by Pope Sixtus V Peretti (1585-1590).
It was fed by a branch of the Traiano-Paolo aqueduct, restored by Paul V himself to serve the Transtiberian area.
Conceived as a monumental arch with a central niche flanked by two Ionic columns, the fountain features a high attic on which stands the coat of arms of the Borghese family (eagle and dragon) and the celebratory inscription that recalls the merits of the pontiff for having led the new water also on the left bank of the Tiber.
The fountain was dismantled in 1879 for the construction of the banks of the Tiber which imposed the destruction of the Mendicanti Hospice itself.
Only in 1898 was it rebuilt on the right bank of the river, conceived as an isolated structure, in axis with the Sisto bridge and in visual connection with the imposing exhibition of Acqua Paola located on the top of the Janiculum.
Today Piazza Trilussa is one of the meeting places for all Romans who love nightlife as, in its vicinity there are many night clubs where you can spend evenings in the company of music and beer.